How Someone Treats You Says More About Them
We may earn commissions for purchases made through links on our site. Learn more on our about us page.
We hear sentiments about how to treat someone and how we are treated a lot. We are told to treat others like we want to be treated or to treat other people better than they treat us.
However, sometimes it can be hard to see why you should be the better person. This quote above shows why treating others well, no matter how you are treated, is important.
Do you want to understand more about this quote and similar quotes and how they might help you? Then, continue reading below to find out.
Who Said this?
While no one says this exact quote, we can see similar sentiments from various people. So here are similar quotes from people.
- “The true test of a person’s character is how they treat the people in life that they don’t need.” – Lee Corso
- “Judge a person not by how he treats you, but how he treats others. The former reflects what he wants you to think of him, and the latter truly reflects who he is.” – Betty Jamie Chung
- “When you realize that people treat you according to how they see themselves rather than how you are, you are less likely to be affected by their behavior.” – John C. Maxwell
- “Every time you mistreat someone, you reveal the part of you that lacks love and needs to heal.” ― Kemi Sogunle
- “If you respect yourself, you will respect others.” ― Lailah Gifty Akita
- “If you cannot treat everyone with the same respect as you give to your pastor, then you are a fake person.” ― Sunday Adelaja
What Does it Mean?
Despite it not being a quote from a known author, many people understand and agree with this statement. The provided quote and the others we listed above say that we can’t look at people’s behaviors towards us as a reflection of our own selves.
Essentially, it is saying that when someone mistreats you, it isn’t because of something you do, or often even how they feel towards you. Instead, the way people treat others is more about their opinion of others and themselves.
It also is a way to see the true behavior of people. For example, someone can treat you kindly and seem nice but may treat people they see as below them like trash, and you can learn a lot about someone based on how they treat others.
Is it Always the Truth?
No, it isn’t always the truth. While someone treating you poorly unprompted or without even knowing you are very often a reflection of them more than you, it isn’t always the case when someone you know well is treating you poorly.
Let’s look at some other quotes:
- “You teach people how to treat you.” –Oprah Winfrey
- “I teach people how to treat me by what I will allow.” – Stephen Covey
- “People treat you according to your energy or what you put out there, so what I put out there is very open. I’m not paranoid or scared, I’m open. That’s how I treat people, with respect and speak truthfully.” – Ziggy Marley
- “Those who get upset for being treated the way that they treat others will never understand why others treat them the way that they treat others.” – David J Martinez
These quotes say that sometimes, people treat others based on how they are treated. So, for example, if you are snotty to the girl who has always been rude to you, it is based more on their treatment of you than your own personality.
Additionally, people will continue to treat you poorly if you let them. This says a lot about you, such as how you view yourself based on whether or not you are willing to stand up for yourself.
Do People Know This?
Unfortunately, a lot of people don’t know this. Sometimes, people are so wrapped up in their own problems and lives that they aren’t even aware of how poorly they treat others.
Some people may take everything to heart, not realizing that they are being treated poorly, not because they deserve it, but because the other person just isn’t good.
Others treat people poorly because they believe they are better than everyone else, not realizing or caring what that behavior says about them because they don’t care about other people’s opinions of them.
Should You Say this to a Person Mistreating You?
You can, but it likely won’t help. People mistreating you are either wrapped up in their own problems or don’t care what you think.
Additionally, you may have let them mistreat you for so long that they don’t believe that you care or feel you are making a big deal out of nothing.
Saying something like this will only make someone mad and not often fix the problem. These quotes are more for you. They can help you realize why you are being mistreated and understand the situation more so you don’t take the insults to heart.
You can’t have much hope to change others, but you can change yourself.
Final Thoughts on How Someone Treats You Says More About Them
Unfortunately, even with quotes like this at your disposal, you can’t hope to change others. People can really only make a change when they are ready and willing to change.
Using these quotes on others doesn’t make them madder or treat you worse. These quotes are meant to be for you. Realize why people are treating you the way they are.
Once you understand why people do what they do, you can start to understand why you have to show yourself to be better than them and why it is important to be kind no matter what.